Happy Halloween, Witches!
I’m in a spooky Halloween mood and wanted to share my favorite true crime podcasts. Not for those that are prone to get nightmares!
Currently Listening To:
- Heaven’s Gate About the cult, Heaven’s Gate. It’s a very interesting conversation about what makes a cult and how this one started.
- Lore (They now have an Amazon show too!) about the frightening history behind common folklore. Think witches, werewolves, and ghosts!
- Unexplained In the same realm as Lore, it’s a study of unexplained events that border on the paranormal and fringes of science.
- My Favorite Murder It’s honestly like sitting around with your friends and getting really morbid. It’s a casual retelling of certain murders with a really candid take. Karen is from the Bay Area and Georgia is a cat lady…so I feel like I know them already.
- Generation Why Another true crime duo. Two guys discussing true crime and giving their takes and theories. It’s very straightforward like Justin and Aaron.
- Dirty John (Wondery has a specific style to their podcasts which I don’t necessarily like, but I’m drawn into the story) From the LA Times, a collection of narrative and interviews to tell a story with a dark ending.
Finished and Enjoyed:
- Serial Like many people, this is the first podcast I got obsessed with and listened from start to finish. I’ve been a lifelong fan of NPR, so this podcast from This American Life was a natural choice for me. I loved Season 1 and Season 2 was important.
- Up and Vanished A missing beauty queen from a small town in Georgia. It’s an 11 year old case mystery with the largest case file in the state’s history. The narrator and a local attorney really give a local feel to the investigation.
Finished and A Little Disappointed:
- S – Town Another podcast from This American Life. It resolves the complexities of life in a small town in the South. The podcast unexpectedly switches directions when someone winds up dead.
- Missing Richard Simmons Richard Simmons, the fitness guru, is a character. Always larger than life and then suddenly gone. The podcast tries to answer why Simmons has suddenly become a shut-in.
And for listening…
One of these past Christmases, I was gifted some wireless headphones. They’re not Beats… but they’re pretty awesome.
I like that I can do chores around the house, lay in bed without getting tangled in the cord, or just get up and pour another cup of coffee.
These are what I have, they’re from Bose and sync via Bluetooth.
The future is now people
Trick or Treat,